Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

One great IDEA

This blog has been dormant for nearly a year now and I just came up with an idea to revive it. My only hope is that I have the motivation to follow through with this idea as I think it could be really interesting.

The plan for this blog in the future centers around the word ADVICE. I am planning on talking to as many people as I can, well as many convenient people as I can, and asking them what the best advice is that they have ever received? I think it could be a great way to have a conversation and I also think I will get some really good information.

The genesis of this idea developed from insomnia really, but as I was struggling with sleep I realized the amount of bad and good advice that I have received throughout my life. The one thing I realized is that most of the advice I remember has turned out to be fairly negative for me. For instances, my high school career exploration teacher told me and the class that we should NOT choose an occupation that mirrors a hobby/activity that we love. For me at that time it was anything that had to do with a motor. Her thinking was that if you do what you love for work, then you will end up hating it.

I understand her logic, but I think it is extremely flawed. I love cars and I think I would have loved a job that involved the use of cars or motors or something. Instead, I am going into academia, which I have grown to love and am really excited about. However, cars and motors just seem fun and who wouldn't love a job that is fun. I see some people doing what they truly love and getting paid for it and think, wow that has got to be awesome. Then I think, I don't know if I would have the guts to completely change my life to go after something like that. I wish I could say that I would but I just don't know.

The other thing about ADVICE is that I think it is basically one's opinion. I think that people who give good advice know how influential they can be and thus they present a fair opinion. Some people don't always present advice this way, which I think is detrimental. My brother is one of those who gives great advice. I would say some of it stems from his counseling background and training, but I also think some of it is life experience. I mean that is really what advice should convey, right? Someones life lessons.

The final thought I have about advice is also about who gives it and the way they feel. Advice is essentially one's opinion and opinion is heavily influenced by emotion. Talk to someone who is living the good life and I think their advice is generally positive. Talk to someone down in the dumps and their advice may be more negative. I guess through this little project of mine I will find out.

I hope that you will come back and follow my journey as I write about the ADVICE I receive from everyday people.
Thanks.

No comments: