Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2016

Make Money Driving with Uber!!! Well...Maybe!?!

New data leaked to Buzzfeed shows what Uber drivers actually make and the numbers don't look so good. The data is for 3 major markets including Denver, Detroit, and Houston, and the numbers how that drivers in those markets earn about $13 an hour. Some of you may think, hey that's pretty good money, and I would tend to agree with you especially since you are essentially your own boss making your own hours. However, the issue with the Sharing Economy model and specifically Uber is the that drivers are independent contractors and do not receive some of the same benefits as a general employee. Things like labor protections such as unemployment insurance, worker's compensation for injuries, overtime, and as Robert Reich points out in his post on Facebook, Uber pays nothing into Social Security for these drivers so they cannot collect it when they retire.

So why are so many people signing up for Uber and using this service? One word...Convenience!

I have used Uber in several different markets during my travels, which is so much easier than trying to get a taxi or take the super shuttle from the airport. Paying with my phone/account is way better when I've used up all my cash that I would need for a taxi. More importantly, I also drive for Uber and have done so for all most a year. In all my Uber experience and conversations with riders, convenience is by far the most common reason people cite for using this platform. I think as a driver, and the other drivers I have talked to, the most common reasons for driving for Uber is flexibility. I am not driving to support my family or myself, I actually drive because I enjoy driving and I like to have a little money on the side for fun. 

So what is like being an Uber driver?

My experience has been pretty positive so far. I have been luck in that I have only had one rider that actually made a mess in my car. They were a little bit, should I say, tipsy and this rider was chewing tobacco. He spilled most of tobacco all over the front seat of my car and after I dropped him off I had to clean it up. I didn't know at the time that I could take a photo with my phone and submit it to Uber to charge the rider a cleaning fee. Otherwise, most riders have been extremely pleasant. You get some that like to chat and some that would rather just text their friends.

How often do I drive?

Well, like I said, I am not really trying to support a family or anything so I drive minimally. I average about 6 trips every 30 days. I put it this way because as a driver we have to complete at least one trip every 30 days or we are kicked off the platform. I could certainly drive more if I wanted to and I could certainly make more money by driving later on Friday and Saturday nights, but I have heard many stories about drunk people leaving things behind...Usually the stinky smelly gooey kinds of things. The one time I had to clean my car was a Friday night drive around midnight.

The money question...How much do you make?

This is a tricky question because I haven't yet broken down all my costs and deducted them from my profits to get a truly accurate measure, but I figure I make enough to cover my gas for the trips as well as the rest of my travels for the month. I think I could probably make more money if I drove more, perhaps as much as $20 an hour. However, the thing you should consider if you want to sign up and drive is the type of car you have, the gas mileage, and whether you want to put extra miles on your vehicle. There are certain restrictions when driving for Uber, but if you are interested in driving you can find out more and sign up here.


Overall, I enjoy using Uber as a driver and as a rider. If you want $20 worth of rider credits you can also use my referral link here. Uber continues to thrive because it fulfills a niche and demand that many people want despite some of the short comings of this model of the Sharing Economy, which I can rant on about in another post. But at the end of the day I think Uber and other platforms like it will continue to grow. So what do you think? Let me know in the comments.


No comments: